|Photo courtesy of Keith Bacongco via Flickr.com.|
The Oregon Territory Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists is now seeking nominees to serve on the chapter's eight-member board of directors.
More specifically, nominees are being sought to fill positions of chapter president, vice president, secretary, treasurer and four at-large members. An online vote open to all chapter members will be conducted later this summer.
All current chapter members in Oregon and Southwest Washington are eligible to seek any of the open positions, which have an annual term.
Current board members are:
- President: Hannah Hoffman, formerly of the Statesman Journal
- Vice President: Ian Kullgren, Oregonian
- Secretary: Christen McCurdy, The Skanner
- Treasurer: Kaellen Hessel, Statesman Journal
- Open Records Chair: Inka Bajandas, Daily Journal of Commerce
- At-large Members:
- Craig Brown, Vancouver Columbian
- Finn J.D. John, Oregon State University
- Rob Priewe, Linn-Benton Community College
- Samantha Swindler, Forest Grove Leader/The Oregonian
Those interested in serving on the board should contact Hannah Hoffman at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Building a Better Journalist Conference
The chapter also is beginning planning for a journalism training program tentatively slated to happen in October at the University of Oregon. In the tradition of past "Building a Better Journalist" programs, the sessions would be open to both professionals and students.
The chapter hopes to team up with UO's School of Journalism and Communication for the day-long program on a Saturday in October. Among the topics the chapter is exploring are: Covering law enforcement, investigative reporting, the view from the PR desk, getting that first job in journalism, photojournalism and open records access.
For more information or to contribute ideas for the conference, contact Samantha Swindler at firstname.lastname@example.org.