If you can’t travel to Washington, don’t worry. We’re planning a smaller-scale awards ceremony in Portland on June 21.
Here are the details:
|Image courtesy of Scott Maxwell/Creative Commons|
REGION 10 CONFERENCE on June 18
The Region 10 Conference runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 18, at the University of Washington Communications Building. Tickets are $15 for current SPJ members and $25 for non-members.
• Google Tools for Journalists: Learn the ins and outs of Google's suite of tools that are helpful for journalists.
• Ethics Presentation: SPJ National President Paul Fletcher will join us from headquarters to lead a "choose your own adventure" ethics workshop.
• Podcasting: Industry veterans will lead a session on giving voice to your stories.
• Covering Trans- and Non-binary News: This panel is designed to address the current problems that come with the coverage of trans and non-binary news. With the coverage of Caitlyn Jenner and the outing of Lilly Wachowski, professional journalists have shown that they are ill-equipped to avoid harms, intentional or no. Outing people like Dr. V in the infamous Grantland story resulted in devastating effects.
• Long Form Journalism in a Digital Age: Mark Armstrong, founder of the site longreads.com, will join us in a Q/A run by James Ross Gardner, editor in chief of Seattle Met. They will discuss the viability of long form journalism, how it's managing to succeed in the digital world of listicles and 140-word tweets, and how exactly one can practice "good" long form.
Get your tickets here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/spj-region-10-conference-tickets-25328532322#tickets
REGION 10 GALA
Extend your day of journalism by celebrating award-winning works by your peers at the 2016 SPJ Northwest Excellence in Journalism Awards Gala and Auction.
This event, June 18 at the Hyatt Olive 8 in Seattle, will recognize winners of the 2015 Northwest Excellence in Journalism Contest, gala award winners and scholarship recipients. Members from across SPJ Region 10, including Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska are encouraged to join us in celebrating the accomplishments of our region's hard-working journalists over the last year.
Doors open at 5:30 p.m., with the program and dinner beginning at 7 p.m. The evening will conclude after 9 p.m.
Dress to impress, get your photos taken and bid on silent auction items that benefit Washington journalism scholarships until 7 p.m.
Tickets are $60 if purchased before June 13. Tickets can be purchased online: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2553231
OREGON AWARDS NIGHT on June 21
Region 10 contest winners will be announced June 18, but for those who can’t attend the gala, we will have a smaller event at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 21, at the barrel room of Green Dragon Bistro and Pub, 928 SE 9th Ave. in Portland. There is no cost for this event.
This will be a chance to recognize regional contest winners from Oregon, as well as the winners of the 2015 Bruce Baer Award, the 2015 Rookie of the Year Award and the First Freedom Award.
Please RSVP at the event page: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/oregon-spj-awards-night-tickets-25624092350
# # #
For more updates, see the Oregon Territory SPJ blog at oregonterritoryspj.blogspot.com.